A payroll ledger is a document or spreadsheet that gives an overview of a company's payroll information. The ledger includes the names of staff members, salaries, overtime rates, etc.
How to Create a Payroll Ledger:
- Open a new spreadsheet.
- Label the first column "Employee Name."
- Label the second column "ID Number."
- Title the remaining columns with applicable items like rate of pay, overtime rate, etc.
- Include columns for "Gross Pay" and "Net Pay."
- Add the names and numbers of all of your current employees to the first two columns.
- Save the spreadsheet.
What is a payroll general ledger?
A general payroll ledger helps you to keep track of how much each of your employees is paid and how much taxes should be withheld from each paycheck.
How do I balance payroll to the general ledger?
- Create a payroll report for your most recent pay period.
- Compare employee time cards to your payroll ledger to make sure they match.
- Compare rate of pay to make sure it is correct.
- Ensure that all deductions have been taken from paychecks.
- Enter information in your general ledger based on what is in your payroll summary.
What is a payroll ledger in Quickbooks?
You can use Quickbooks to create a payroll ledger. All of the information will automatically be uploaded to your ledger from your Quickbooks account. In Quickbooks, this is called a payroll summary report.
What is a payroll summary report?
A payroll summary report is the same thing as general payroll ledger - it includes summary information with details about each of your employees' salary/wages.
Where can I find an employee payroll ledger template?
You can use either one of our templates above to create your own payroll ledger.